Monday, August 24, 2009

All about August

August, named for Caesar Augustus. Supposedly when the month was re-named for him they stole a day from February to make August longer. Untrue if you believe Wikipedia, but amusing. Don't you just love useless trivia? And I question everything on Wikipedia so I'm still open to the idea of a dead Roman stealing days to feed his own ego. After all he was a politician.

Ben is married. There, I said it. It was very fun to meet all of Natalie's family in situ, and it was quite a party. And the drive is so interesting with it's changing vistas of endless sage and scrub. I'm tired after 10 hours of sleep and still only semi-coherent (some would say it's hard to tell). I hope he and Natalie are having a nice* honeymoon *(I discarded several other adjectives before deciding on nice).

I'm still over Warcraft and the pending expansion doesn't thrill or tempt me. I'm back to my old tried and true games, Age of Empires 2 + expansion, Age of Mythology + expansion, and Master of Orion 2. Even though some are well over 10 years old they're still funner than most of the current stuff and they have the added advantage of my having mastered them back when I was smart. I just don't have the brain cells to learn a complex new game and probably never will. If you haven't played them and like real-time strategy games you should try them. MOO2 isn't an RTS but a fun turn-based space strategy game.

Gun show next month. I might trade/sell my sweet little Bersa .380 for something in a 9mm, since ammo is still impossible to find in .380. Maybe a nice Kel-Tec PF9, smaller than my Bersa and lighter, too, but quite a bit more formidable. I'm also looking at shotguns, probably a Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge, something Kathy can use without hurting her shoulder. With the right ammo it's as effective as a 12 gauge but less likely to over-penetrate and exit the house. It will be a home defense weapon but I'd like to shoot clays with it and maybe some birds eventually. Any practice is good.