Saturday, March 28, 2009

Gun or no gun?

I am trying to decide whether to buy a gun. I'm pretty sure I will so the real question is what gun to buy, a handgun and shotgun seem to be a good idea both for home and personal defense. I want a very small 'pocket' gun that is still powerful enough to make a clear impression so I will probably get on a .380 caliber. The choices are two mostly plastic guns, the Kel-Tec P-3AT and the Ruger LCP, or the equally cheap but heavier and more metallic Bersa .380. All of them are small enough to fit into a jeans pocket (front or back) and be invisible in a pocket holster. It's not illegal to carry any of them with a permit but you're not permitted to draw the gun without big provocation and it's a bad idea to even let someone see a clear outline of your gun. I'll probably get the Bersa, it's cheap and has fewer problems reported than the other two, the Ruger was fully recalled for a fix and only the Bersa has a real safety - in fact it has three of them. One on the trigger, a trigger lock, another to keep it from firing unintentionally, and a third to keep it from firing if the clip is removed. You can also easily see if a round is in the chamber, making it about as safe as a handgun can be.

For a shotgun I really don't know, a shorter barrel is preferred for faster maneuvering but I'm not sure that's a big issue and a longer barrel with solid shot gives you better accuracy. I'll probably get whatever is on sale at Cabela's when I decide to buy one, providing it doesn't have negative reviews. I'm buying a couple of books on handguns and I've subscribed to four gun magazines and already I know a bit more lingo. Did you know it's legal to own and fire a fully automatic gun? With the appropriate background checks, tax stamps and approval from local authorities you can but the catch is the gun had to have been made before 1986. Which makes these guns very pricey and valuable but I can't see any need for a gun like that unless you're planning a police stand-off or the Zombie Apocalypse is imminent. And everyone knows shotguns are better at putting down zombies than any machine gun.