Wednesday, March 25, 2009

What is up that is new?

Not much. Blogs can be tedious and boring and overly detailed. Like this one. But I refuse to be so boring as to write that I went to the dentist and had a tooth filling redone so I'd look less like some refugee from Deliverance (look it up, I refuse to indulge you). Or that I go to the doctor tomorrow to try some new headache medicine if he's willing. No, I won't bore you with such detail.

Whittney is now a blogger and that's a good thing. Five years ago the word blogging would likely be assumed to be a problem requiring some kind of ointment or bandage but now it's mainstream. Not so much as Facebook yet but more than Twitter.

To anyone who wants to know what is funny on tv, at least to an old man like me, here is a list. I find them occasionally funny enough to laugh out loud, ranked in more or less descending order of humorosity. I search high and low for comedies since laughter is allegedly the best medicine and at least it makes time pass.

1. this last week the winner was Rules of Engagement, give it a try, it made me laugh more than anything else
2. probably Psych which is much less grating now that I've adjusted to the antics of the male lead
3. this is a tie between How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory. Both can be funny but neither is as reliable as the first two, sometimes they just miss my funny bone for 30 minutes straight
4. Monk but mostly the reruns, the new ones are just rarely funny anymore which is very disappointing. The next season is the final and I'm glad of it even though I sometimes like a few minutes of a particular show the rest can be almost painful to watch.
5. The Office. I'm so conflicted, it's sometimes so funny I laugh out loud and scare that cats but most of the time Michael is on the screen I'm cringing with my fingers in my ears as if Obama was giving a speech. I did this with Barney Fife on the Andy Griffith Show, this character is just as bumbling but even more full of himself than good old Barney ever was.
6. The New Adventures of Old Christine and Gary Unmarried, in a dead heat. Any given episode can vault them to first place but they're not as reliably funny. Same with Worst Week, funny premise and hilarious antics but really, the idea that honesty is never the best policy just isn't that funny any longer. If you screw up admit it, come clean and take your lumps, especially when lying or hiding the truth always blows up in your face. It's a lot like co-eds in slasher movies who think to themselves, "Oh my, Ginger and Adam just got axed to death, let's get naked and make out by those trees!" A teenager can be stupid but give me a break.
7. Red Eye on Fox News really really late. Clearly they're embarassed to have this show like CNN was embarassed at having Glenn Beck. But it's usually very funny, some improv over the news and some funny stand-up comics sitting down for a change. Political but not totally one-sided. Very inappropriate sometimes so it's hard to recommend, lots of gay innuendos fly about and nearly anything gets mocked but it's always on my Tivo.

Well, that's it. Do not take my advice, do not watch any of these shows on my say-so. I'm very unreliable and my legal obligations have been satisfied by saying this. I've probably missed my favorite comedy but that's how my mind works, or doesn't work in this case.